Interpreting scriptures based on philosophical thought, or on the basis of laid down systems alone are both wrong. Scriptural interpretation is and should be based on what the scripture says. If what it says agrees with the system of belief or a philosophical reflection, then a logical conclusion is that "the doctrinal system" is true. This is how we should view systems and not merely dismiss them because they don't agree with our philosophies.
In fact, systems of belief are philosophical and philosophies are basically systems. I have trouble with those who dismiss Calvinism or Armenianism because they imagine, without clear background study, that both are wrong. I hear claims that Calvinism is wrong and that it is a doctrine from the dark ages.
When I listen to claims refuting Calvinism I realize that most of those rejecting Calvinistic claims simply have no idea or very limited knowledge on its claims. This is also the case with many who merely reject Armenianism.
Before we take time to reject a basis of believe/doctrine, I think it is academically correct to do a thorough study into the system. Not merely reading opposing views so that you are equipped with the arsenals to defend a position. Develop some understanding on the doctrines that you support and those that you oppose before rejecting any.
No comments:
Post a Comment